Call for Applications - DEADLINE: April 15th
William Boddy Passion to Learn Scholarships
Salida Council for the Arts is accepting applications from March 1st to April 15th for the William Boddy Passion to Learn Scholarships. Boddy served on the arts council for many years until his death in September 2015.
The scholarship is designed to fund individuals who want to share their artistic skills and knowledge by teaching community members in classes or workshops. In creating the program, the council board of directors focused on Boddy’s own desire to share his many skills and talents.
Applicants may apply online or download an application at www.salidacouncilforthearts.org/passion-to-learn
Selections will be announced at the May 9th Creative Mixer at the SteamPlant Paquette Gallery.
The scholarship is funded by community contributions and administered by the Salida Council for the Arts.
Thank you to Mike’s Garage, Su Casa Furniture & Sleep Shop, Box of Bubbles, Pam and Don Dubin, Amicas Pizza, TJ Hittle Landscape Architects, Wood’s High Mountain Distillery, Eye Candy, Lisa Marvel, TLC Landscaping, Natural Habitat Designs, Salida Mountain Sports, Legends Kitchen & Bath Showroom and Broken Strings Guitar for providing annual support for the scholarship program.
Mark your calendar for the Fourth Annual Boddy Jam on Thursday, Sept. 5, 2019….More details to come!
To become a scholarship sponsor or to donate items for the Boddy Jam silent auction, contact Barbara Ewing at 719-207-3262.
ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIP & PREVIOUS RECIPIENTS
Upon Williams death in September, 2015, people who admired his contributions to the community in the arts, music and historical renovation and his giving and teaching nature, created a scholarship in his name; the William Boddy “Passion to Learn” Scholarship. This scholarship is administered by the Salida Council for the Arts with funds raised through individual donations, business sponsorships and through the silent auction at the Boddy Jam. Our annual goal is to raise $5,000 which provides 6 - 10 scholarships for creative instructors in our community each year. These classes are then provided free to our community. Our mission is to promote forms of creative enrichment for all ages. Here is a list of classes/workshops provided in 2017 & 2018:
· Afro-Cuban Drumming, 6 workshops with Trevor “Bones” Davis
· Costume set/design, 5 workshops with Krista Jarvis & Andrea Mossman
· Smashing Recycled Jewelry/Metalworking with Christine Davis
· Cinema at the Crossroads, Evolution of Film & Cinematic Arts w/ Stephen Renner
· Circular Mixed Media from found objects with Hannelore Gabriel
· Color Theory for Visual Arts with Dan Bishop
· Improvisation Skills with Jennifer Dempsey & Devon Kasper
· 6 Versatile Drum Clinics with Trevor “Bones” Davis
· Tumbling Tots with Jennifer Dempsey at 3 Early Childhood Centers
· Learning Ukulele at the Boys & Girls Club with Joan Lobeck
· Pastel Painting for Beginners with Julie Maas
· Celebrating the Crone & constructing Polymer Clay figurines with Diane Lara
· Contemporary Guitar Building with Jeff Bamburg
· Art Enhancement in Photoshop with Mel Strawn & Solar Etching
· An Actors Toolbox – Theatre with Jan Justis & Allen Lane
· Creative Dance & Fitness with PoleCatz
To donate to Council programs or to become an Art Lover of the Arts Council, visit salidacouncilforthearts.org/support