Partnership brings best of the Breckenridge Film Festival to Salida
We are proud to present to you a one-day festival of over 45 films viewed at the 2017 Breck Film Festival. Plan to attend the kick-off event on Friday, Dec. 1st.
"Celebrate Cinema with Local Filmmakers"
Kick-off for Breck Film Fest - Film On The Road
$25.00 / per person
Friday Dec 1 6:00 - 10:00pm at the Salida Ballroom
Salida Council for the Arts and The Salida SteamPlant Event Center
are co-hosting the kick-off event for the Film Festival.
The evening will include films, trailers and a panel of celebrated
local filmmakers in a party atmosphere.
CELEBRATE CINEMA WITH LOCAL FILMMAKERS
Panel Discussion 8:20
Party with the pros 9:00
Cash bar and free sponsored bites from favorite local restaurants,
Friday Night Film Program
- Julie Speer of Salida will be showing a portion of her Emmy Award winning PBS documentary “Sand Creek Massacre” as well as a trailer for her latest film "Breaking the Mold" which was shot by Salida native Nathan Ward.
- Ben Knight of Howard has won an amazing 46 film festival awards in just 10 years. In 2015 he was a National Geographic Adventurer of the year. He’ll be showing his latest film “The Last Honey Hunter” filmed in Nepal for National Geographic and recently nominated for an OSCAR.
- Nathan Ward has made award winning films in some of the most remote locations on earth and he’ll be showing several samples of his work.
- We’ll be seeing a trailer for Paprika Leaverton’s latest film HIKO- The Women Juggler’s of Tonga.
- Beth and George Gage will be showing “Kick Ass Katie Lee” about river running legend Katie Lee who passed away just this month at age 98. The film features rarely seen footage of Glen Canyon before it was buried by Lake Powell.
Following the film showings will be a panel discussion with Moderator Leslie Matthews Chair of the Board of KHEN. Audience members will have a chance to interact with the filmmakers first hand and ask questions about the films.
Thank you to our sponsors of the Celebrate Cinema with Local Filmmakers event:
Movie-goers may select from these ticket offerings:
- $50 All-Festival Pass - includes Friday night "Celebrate Cinema with Filmmakers" event plus an All-Day pass for Saturday's film blocks.
- $25 Friday Night Event (only) - "Celebrate Cinema with Filmmakers"
- $30 All-Day pass for Saturday (Students - 18 & under are FREE)
- $10 Single block of films on Saturday (Students - 18 & under are FREE)
Ranging in length from 1 1/2 to 101 minutes, films to be enjoyed include comedies, dramas, documentaries, animations and foreign films; several of which won awards at the September 2017 Breckenridge Film Festival. On Saturday, December 2, eleven blocks of films will be offered in the SteamPlant Theater and Ballroom. Beginning at 9:00am, the festival will conclude at about 10:00pm.
In keeping with our Mission Statement to encourage arts education in our community, the Salida Council for the Arts is giving FREE admission to students (18yr. and under) to the Saturday Film Festival. Families will want to come the morning block of fun films for children; and teens will enjoy films in two different blocks. During one group of films Saturday, teens may find inspiration seeing the work of their peers. The films shown earned film students of Thompson School District the distinction of International High School Film Finalists, and is sponsored by The Colorado Office of Film, Television and Media.
Volunteers for the weekend are still welcome to help with the event. Email the Council at: SalidaCouncilForTheArts@gmail.com and express your availability. A committee member will get back to you.
This event is a fundraiser supporting the ongoing programs of the Salida Council for the Arts and co-sponsored by the Salida SteamPlant Event Center.
See you at the Movies!
Be sure you join the SCFTA's Mailing List to receive updates!